Saturday, August 6, 2011

Secret Lake

We went for a hike this past week.  One of my long standing complaints about living in the city is that you can't get away from all the noise and people.  I stand corrected.  We drove up Little Cottonwood Canyon and it was gorgeous.  At the top of the Canyon past Alta ski resort we found the trailhead to the Cecret Lake Hike, or Secret Lake.  It was a mile up and a mile back.  I thought it would be perfect for us.  Brielle has never been in our backpack and Ava complains if she has to walk more than a block, not to mention I'm extremely out of shape.  Brigham...well I knew it would be a snap for him.
It quickly became apparent just how out of shape I am.  Boy, I really need to cut back on the Coke.  And the licorice.  Ava loved it.  At three points in the trail we had to do stepping stones across streams.  The day was so shiny and bright.  It made me happy to be alive.  Even if I was huffing and puffing. 
Poor Brielle.  She wasn't super happy about her new accommodations.  In fact the proof is on her face.  When she gets upset and cries her skin goes all splotchy.  She's never going to be able to hide when she's upset.  About half way up the trail she resigned herself to her situation. 
The circle of life!  We found Pride Rock at the top of the switchbacks next to Cecret Lake.  
Secret Lake.  Very beautiful.  It was well worth it.

Ava started scampering up rocks like a little chipmunk.  Brig was very proud.  I could tell he was happy she was taking an interest in something that he really loves.  Rock climbing.

It was a great day.  I wish we had spent more time this summer finding hikes to go on.  I guess we still have a few weeks of summer left.  Happy Trails!

2 comments:

Jill said...

such pretty pictures! i love them. it looks like brig is having a blast.

s&hmills said...

I love that hike! It's been a few years, but I remember it having A LOT more ice on it at this time of year. Run! Global Warming is coming!