Monday, October 19, 2009

Loves Music, Loves to Dance


Our ward's Primary Program was this past Sunday. For weeks we've been practicing her line, "I feel Heavenly Father's love when I pray with my family." She had it down flat. She sat in the front row of the choir seats. I have to admit that I was apprehensive about whether she'd actually stand up and say her part into the microphone, because, well she is my daughter.

I remember hiding under the bed as a child so I wouldn't have to go to the Cache Valley Mall and perform a tap routine with the rest of our class. My mom tried to talk me out from under there for a good fifteen minutes before she gave up. Much to my delight she stood right up and said her line and sounded as cute as can be. It soon became apparent that she didn't know all the words to all the songs in the program, but that didn't stop her from moving her mouth and pretending. My husband leaned over to me and whispered, "Maybe you should have tried to teach her primary songs, instead of Mamma Mia songs." True. Quite frankly it's not as fun to dance to primary songs as it is to dance to Abba songs.

Then to my definite surprise Ava decided that she'd liven up the program by dancing to the songs. It was hysterical. She also tried to follow the song leader and copied her arm movements. What I learned is that this little girl of mine is cut from a different cloth than I am. And I like it. She's sure to keep us entertained for a long, long time.

6 comments:

Jill said...

how cute. I only wish I could have seen and heard her. Isn't it lovely that she's not so timid and shy. How fun. Allie didn't know all of the songs either and couldn't hold still to save her life. Oh well, she did her part well.

Melissa said...

I like it! The girl has some spunk!! I miss you.

kathy said...

The Primary program is my favorite meeting of the year. At least she didn't pull her dress up over her face and show off her panties. It seems like there's always one little girl who does that every year. Be glad it's not yours!

The Huffakers said...

I love that you are the kind of mom who dances and teaches your kid Abba songs. And you are right about Primary songs; they're not as much fun to dance to. That is so cute that Ava livened up the event with dancing.

Kel said...

I hate to tell you, but it was always Kathy who was pulling her dress over her face in church. I think the last time she did that she was a Beehive....

Ericka said...

This post makes me miss that little girl even more! I can just picture her up there dancing and smiling! You're right about the dancing to primary songs though...we've tried, it sort of kills the silly mood you need when dancing.