Friday, November 19, 2010

Better Left Unsaid


I have to admit that I thought babies came out of a woman's belly button until sixth or seventh grade health class.  I've always thought it was better to keep your kids informed or else they will learn things on the school bus and on the playground like I did, instead of in their home.  So when Ava asked me how they get the baby out of my belly I told her.  Not graphically, but honestly.  She didn't say anything about it, so I went on my merry way thinking I had done her such a great service as a parent.  So this morning I admit I was pretty taken aback when I came into the living room to see her lying on a blanket with her stuffed polar between her knees.  As I thought Is this what I think it is?  She says, "I'm pushing him out mom!  I'm having a baby!  You're a grandma!"  I replied, "I can see that."  And then turned and walked out of the room.  I'm beginning to rethink my philosophy.  Meanwhile I am the proud grandmother of Jack-Jack the polar bear.

1 comment:

Jill said...

i did comment on this once. who knows what happened.
i will learn from your mistakes.