Friday, April 13, 2012

Very Belated Weight-Loss Wednesday

For those of you without 20/20 vision it reads: BE PROUD You've Earned this merit badge in honour of your special knack for: falling off the wagon.

If you're savvy you've probably noticed I've been avoiding my weekly "weight-loss" post.  Listen I started off at the front of the wagon, and gradually got jostled to the back where I then proceeded to slide off the back.  I clung to the wagon with one hand while I drained a 32 ounce Coca-Cola with the other.  Then two weeks ago I fell flat on my face.  Looking up I saw the wagon pressing onward without me.  I looked around to find myself in forests of Red Vines and rivers of soda. 

So what now?  This is usually where I give up.  I tell myself I can't do it.  Food is my drug of choice and you can't avoid food as it's kind of necessary for survival.  And yet...and yet I know that there is a better life out there for me.  A healthier, balanced life. 

On Tuesday my husband, who is practically driving that stupid wagon, got up and suggested we go for a run at Sugar House Park.  I can't remember the last time I ran for longer than thirty seconds.  But I agreed.  So we packed up the girls and drove to the park.  I'm tired of all my songs on my ipod so I left it at home.  Plus there was one time when I thought Brig was walking with Ava behind me while I ran the rest of the loop at Liberty Park.  I was jamming out to some song and people keep giving me strange looks.  Finally a woman waved her hands as if she was signaling a helicopter on a desert island and pointed behind me.  I turned to see Ava sprinting behind me, tears streaming down her face.  She was yelling, "Wait Mom!  Wait for me!"  It was kind of embarrassing.  I blame Brig. 

I wasn't sure how this was going to go.  Ava was on her scooter and Brielle was in her stroller.  We soon encountered what is usually a big road block when I'm working out alone...Ava whining.  As luck would have it we saw a neighbor boy in her class playing at the park.  Ava no longer wanted to ride her scooter around the park, she now wanted to go and play with Hudson.  How fortuitous that I had my husband along.  He motioned me onward as he dealt with Ava's fluctuating emotions.  I really started to enjoy myself as I got my breathing in sync.  Dare I say...fun?  Well maybe I wouldn't go that far, but it had been a long time since I had jogged and it felt kind of good.  Believe me I'm never going to be some running star.  I'm just not built for it.  Some days it is nice to have the wagon master spurring you onward.  Other times I wish he'd confess a craving for pastries.  Men.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

No reason to give up. Everyone falls off the wagon. Well cool normal people do. You've still made progress. Don't let a couple bad days or weeks overwhelm you. This post Easter week is killing me. Luckily I ate all the twix so I should be good now. I am down 2 lbs this week for a total of 38 lost. 7 to go. Love you, don't give up. Myou deserve to be happy. Real happy, not the temporary redvine kind of happy. Muah.

Jill said...

good for you!

Chan said...

Alright I am going to hop on my soapbox for a minute or two or three. Honestly this is a battle I have fought my whole life so I completely understand. I have been doing an 8 week challenge with a group of women and oh how I wish you lived just a little closer and could participate. I think we often tend to let our minds get the best of us. Remember no matter what you weigh, you are not that number. You are Denise! You are funny, beautiful and intelligent. Your not your weight. Funny how as women we are determined to be some weight, and once we get there we are happy we want to be another weight. Erase that number in your head and get healthy and be happy.

The one thing that has really motivated me this time is Salem. Do I want her to grow up and feel like I do> No I don't so the best thing I can do for her is to work and be healthy and set a good example for her. Your doing great and if you want to join this group just let me know.