Sunday, October 14, 2012

Going Ons

A few Sundays back our ward had our primary program.  We bought Ava a new dress since we've begun to notice her legs have grown like weeds making all of her dresses too scandalous for church.  She insisted on a pair of black heels even though they were a bit big. 
This year the kids got to write their own parts, I'm sure with a little guidance from their teachers.  Ava said, "I want to make good choices so I can be a good example to my little sister."  She did a great job.

Ava also decided to get her hair cut.  She's happy I can no longer experiment on her long tresses with looks I get off of cutegirlhairstyles on youtube.  After she got it cut she kept looking in the mirror and saying, "I look like a teenager, huh mom?" 

Brig and I stayed in The Little America this past Friday night.  My parents came down and stayed with the girls.  Both Ava and Bree were excited they were going to get to spend some exclusive time with them without me...as Ava put it.  Apparently I talk to my mom too much when we get together and Ava can't get a word in edge wise. 

Although the hotel is only ten minutes from our house it was awesome to spend some time together without any demands made on us by the kids.  I've always thought it was important in theory to nurture your husband just as much as you do your kids, but it's not so easy in practice.  My general attitude has been hey you're a big boy, don't make me baby you, I've already got two babies.  But what a difference it makes to spend that time away from everything if only for twenty-four hours.  It really makes you remember who you were before you had kids.  I was fun once.  No, it's true.  I was. 

It was also Brig's 32nd birthday.  We went out with the Patches to Ichiban Sushi after checking into our hotel.  The conversation was good, and we laughed and ordered sushi rolls for a solid three hours.  Then we went back to the hotel and ordered room service at 11:30 while watching a movie in bed.  It was great.  The next day we looked at the shops in the hotel and across the street at The Grand America.  Also we paid twenty bucks a pop for a breakfast buffet.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  So much food.  I was completely stuffed after just one plate.  Brig went back for three more.  Someone had to get their money worth.  It was delicious and I felt guilty after having watched an ad the night before about starving kids in America. 

It was a nice break from reality.  When I got back home I felt like Cinderella just after midnight.  The girls had a great time and Grandpa even waited in line with Ava for an hour at Scheel's to ride the ferris wheel inside the store.  Kudos to Grandpa, he's a better man than me. 

In other news after four months of taking Brielle to nursery and staying there with her I finally bit the bullet and kissed her goodbye after I walked her in and left.  Just like that.  She was sad for a minute and then she went and played with the toys.  Her teachers said she didn't cry after that and would come and climb up on their laps and acted as friendly as could be.  Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!  Could it be possible she's been taking me for a ride all these months?  Hmmm?  Not my girl, and I'm certainly not gullible enough to be manipulated by my own flesh and blood, right?  ;)

2 comments:

Jill said...

oh you know your girls have you fooled every time. just like ava and going to school. i'm sure she was fine the second you left. they are not dumb. :) how fun for you guys to go to a hotel and have some time alone. you are so lucky. i swear i am going to do that soon. hmmm i don't even know the last time i stayed alone with matt seriously i have no idea. years.
ava does look much older! i love it! did she donate her hair? how many inches was it????

Becca said...

I'm so glad you got away....We have gone on at least one date a week for the last few years and I don't know how we survived before. Something about getting dressed up and heading out on their arm- makes life feel simpler. Your girl's are growing up!I miss you!