Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fashion Rewind: Trends I used to Rock

I was thinking about an old cardigan I used to wear in high school. My grandma made it. It was a tan colored heavily crocheted number with big buttons and a couple of bulky pockets. It was as ugly as the day is long and I loved it. It was warm and cozy and so not in style. I still wonder what happened to it. Some of these trends I remember with less warmth. Without further ado...

The grunge flannel. I actually enjoyed wearing this. I had a couple and they were in my major weekly rotation in grades 8 and 9. All through middle school I struggled with what "group" I fit into. This was my experimental foray into the alternative group. A boy named Jeremiah was my inspiration to take on this characterization. He had super straight light brown hair worn long to his jawline and parted perfectly down the middle. Smells like teen spirit, indeed. This poor model up above regrettably has no trendy hairstyle because he is headless. :( I wonder how this makes a "model" feel. Your body is great. We like what we could do there but that face of yours...it's gotta go. Or maybe they didn't say anything and when he picks up his copy of Flannels R Us and opens up to the page he's on...Whammo! He's suddenly kindred spirits with a guy who rides a spooky black horse and throws pumpkins at goofy big adam appled guys down in the hollow.
I swear this guy went back in time and raided my closet. That flannel looks identical to one I had. Unfortunately his wife beater tank top does too, even the stain on his pectoral. Listen if you're out to save money the wife beater is the way to go. I think you can pick up a pack of Hanes for under ten dollars. The flannel and the wife beater, a match made in heaven.

Girbauds were more of a sixth grade phenomena. But my goodness we were bold dressers back in the day. Purple and Green and Navy Blue, oh my! My parents would never spend the money to buy me a pair, but fortunately I am the poor relation to my more wealthy cousins who gave us all their hand me downs. These jeans were a dream to wear. High on the waist, baggy in the thigh and tapered to the ankle. They went just right with the combat boot version of Dr. Martins.
I shudder just looking at this monstrosity of a body suit. Remember the snaps under the crotch? The skin tight fit? So do I and I'm afraid a few middle school boys probably remember too. Why an early bloomer like myself decided the way to blend in with all my flat chested peers was to don the body suit is beyond me. Thank heavens after the fifth or sixth cat call from an older boy I was shamed into retiring the body suit. This trend? Just weird. Body suits are for babys. Always. Never for adults. Never.

I smile just thinking about the birkenstock. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times and it was so very comfortable and convenient. Imagine my delight as I went shopping a few months back with some friends and there in a trendy mall store was an updated version of the birkenstock. My more fashion conscious friend gave me an emphatic no go. Friends don't let friends walk birkenstock.
Ah the incredibly ugly big scrunchy. Don't act like you didn't love them too. They doubled as a bracelet at times. Solid fashion gold, I tell you. Solid fashion gold. They are synonomous with high pony tails and cut top off the shoulder sweatshirts worn by one Kelly Kapowski. Unfortunately I was more of the brainy not quite as hip Jessie Spano. Remember how she rocked those mom jeans? Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-B. Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-B. Go Bayside!

8 comments:

Jill said...

oh bad memories. not good, bad. The body suit, I can remember my 2 perfectly! even the matching scrunchie I wore with it, thermel and the same blue as my body suit. Why, why would someone come up with the body suit? it's like wearing a swiming suit (not bathing suit :)) with jeans, not good. ahhhh the flannel shirt. I have to say i wore mine alot. it was comfy and you could hide in it and that is probably why you liked it. oh Jerry, Jerry. the Girbauds wow why did we think they were so cool because it made you look at peoples flys all day? seriously!

Melissa said...

I had atleast 2 body suits, and i hated them because obviously they made it hard to go to the bathroom and I remember thinking i wanted to "bag it" out of the top of my jeans a bit... to cover up my none existent tummy at the time.

Megan and Jon said...

Loved the bodysuit, I have a navajo patterned one that was completly flattering with its horizontal stripes.. And the scruntchie, I will admit I probably still have some that I slip on for one home use.
Did you go thru the layering sock faze until your shoes were so tight it hurt but you look super cool with triple layered socks. ?

Katie and Co. said...

When I think of the body suit, I think of 6th grade and my older friends warning me not to wear it in Mr. Young's class because he would molest you. So I would always wear a sweatshirt over the bodysuit to his class. And then he died.

Candi Merritt said...

When I think of the white body suit I used to have, I only recall one thing...uncomfortable crotch snaps...sit carefully! Enough said.

Ericka said...

I too was a serious Girbead fan! Those were the days, but what about Lucky's? I mean the crotch says Lucky you when unzipped! Dirty little designers!

Tyler and Katie said...

I had a piano student with a scrunchy on the other day and I had a good chuckle, as for the body suit, I was never blessed enough to pull those off. But I do remember quite clearly the girls who could, they all got asked to dance at North Cache.

Becca said...

The Goodey parents only ever purchased one pair of Girbauds...Navy Shorts they were hot I wore them everyday....Bodysuits are not something they should have made so appealing to young girls...Breast Buds sticking out of some skin tight lycra is so R. Kelly-ish!
PS You rocked all of these looks adn are Birkenstocks out of style? They are so comfy......