Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans

My Grandpa - Leon Stewart Cooper Jr. He was a West Texas boy just out of high school when he came to California looking for job opportunities. He got a job at Douglas Aircraft Company, met a beautiful Mormon girl and the rest as they say is history. He enlisted in the Air Corps in 1944. The war would end before he saw combat. I'm grateful to him and to my Grandma for making the kind of sacrifice to decide to enlist during war time. What I remember about my Grandpa is how soft spoken and easy going he was. His Texas accent and always saying, "Yes, Ma'am," to my Grandma. His genes are also a big contributor to this mop of curls I've been carrying around on my head since day one, as you can see. I truly believe that the generation that survived and thrived through the Great Depression and World War II were one of a kind and made a huge difference for the better in the world we live in today. Thanks Grandpa.
My Dad - Daniel Craig Cooper. He was drafted and then joined the Navy during the Vietnam War. My parents were high school sweethearts who had been dating for a couple of years by the time he joined the Navy. He served for four years. I appreciate the service he gave his country and especially admire the job so many young men like him had to do in the face of public criticism for that war. The heated opinions of the public spilled over in the unfair way the military was treated upon their return from service. None of our men serving in uniform should have ever been treated so poorly for doing what their country had asked them to do. Thank you, Dad and I love you! Happy Veteran's Day!

5 comments:

Ericka said...

What a sweet tribute! I love seeing these old photos as well...can't get over how much that picture of Grandpa Stewart reminds me of Danny! I can't imagine a life without the freedoms we enjoy...thanks in large part to servicemen like your dad and grandpa!

Melissa said...

So true. I totally see a family resemblance in your grandpa!

Dawn and Chase said...

I love both of these pictures. I too am so grateful to all the servicemen and women who fought in the wars and as well during times of peace. Hope you are feeling better!

Jill said...

ok I don't know how I missed this post but I did. Can I just say your grandpa looks a like your dad and a ton like Danny. Wowza. I have never seen a picture of him. Crazy. I didn't know you got your curls from him I thought it was from your mom. Love the tribute.

Denise said...

Jill - Mom had natural wave that she straightened the heck out of. But yes, I did get a double dose from both sides.