Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Life is Beautiful

I was driving down our street today.  I had ducked out to go and get a cold beverage while my girls were eating lunch and my husband was watching Netflix.  Sometimes I have to snatch moments for myself, with no little hands grasping at me.  The night before I had watched my girls dancing in the sprinklers and an overwhelming feeling of gratitude came over me.  I wanted to run inside and grab my husband and say, "Look how lucky we are!  We are their parents."  I didn't.  I just smiled and watched them in the fading light. 

To be honest, those moments are few and far between.  I fluctuate between adoring those little girls to wanting to throttle them.  With Ava out of school the three of us are together constantly.  I left them with a friend briefly to go to the dentist last Friday.  It was like I was at the spa.  I was disappointed when my appointment was shorter than expected.

Lately I feel as if a fog has lifted from off of my soul.  I've talked openly about my struggles with depression.  I still take Zoloft daily.  But for the first time since my youth I feel truly content and happy.  I've been writing a lot.  Poems and stories.  It lights me up in a way that nothing else does.  I'm trying to appreciate where I am at in my life.  Instead of looking back or looking forward I am more in the moment with my kids, with my husband. 

I see more beauty in the world than ever before.  The trees swaying in the wind, a robin hopping across the grass, the way the dew looks like diamonds on the leaves of the ground cover in the mornings...everything tells me that God loves me.  That I matter to Him.  That the work I am doing right now, the daily grind of taking care of young children will make a difference in their lives.  I hope everyday that they know how much them being in my life has changed me for the better. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was beautiful to read. Life is soo good. God is good. I'm so happy that you got to experience that wonderful moment and that you took the time to write it down!