Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And Then Disaster Struck

I've always had this thing with eyebrows.  Have you ever been talking to someone with their eyebrows brushed downward in the wrong direction and you have to restrain yourself from reaching up and brushing them in the right direction?  I have.  Maybe it stems from my own unruly eyebrows...and eyelashes. 

True story: At the beginning of the year I tried Latisse, you know the eyelash growth prescription that is outrageously priced.  From months of non-sleep with Brielle waking up every night my eyelashes had really taken a beating.  I don't know why, but they were thinner and shorter.  So I tried this miracle formula touted by celebrities on the tube.  Yes, my eyelashes grew thicker and longer, but...I discovered even my eyelashes are curly.  The longer my eyelashes grew the more crazy they looked.  Zagging in all different directions.  So I stopped using it.  But that's neither here nor there. 

I bought Brigham a nose hair trimmer a few Christmas's ago.  He rarely uses it.  I, on the other hand, use it to trim down my peach fuzz on my face.  I know, it's one step shy of actually shaving my face.  But it's got to be done.  I know, lots of information you probably didn't need to know, but hold on a minute, I promise it's going somewhere. 

Somewhere in my addled brain as I peered into the mirror at my smoother face I decided it might be a good idea to maybe use the nose trimmer on my eyebrows.  Fatal decision.  I was just cleaning up the edges of my eyebrows, because who wants to pluck when you can buzz those strays clean off?  And then disaster struck.  I noticed a couple of longer hairs sprouting from the tops of my eyebrows and instead of whipping out the tiny scissors I usually use I thought, well I have the nose trimmer handy, why not?  Everything went fine on my right eyebrow.  But as I was bearing down on my left eyebrow my two precocious girls came running down the hall.  Brielle hit my legs at full speed, wrapping her arms around them as Ava growled closely behind her.  My hand jiggled and SHEEEEARR!  A deep V was etched into the middle of my left eyebrow.  "AH!" I cried out at my reflection.  The two troublemakers had already moved on, not knowing the precious eyebrows they caused to fall tragically into the sink below. 

What's a girl to do?  Briefly I explored the option of shaving the brows all the way off and starting from scratch with nothing but a sharpie to give me the emotion of the day eyebrows.  It might be kind of fun.  You could draw mean eyebrows on when you woke up feeling angry because in your dream last night your husband joined the military on a whim just because his friends were doing it too.  I mean that's just one example. 

I decided against it in the end.  Instead I took my eyeliner and filled it in a bit, which led to over-darkening.  All I needed was the blue back combed hair and I could join the other widows in the front seat in Relief Society every Sunday.  "Hello, sisters.  Nice day for some sable colored fauxbrows, am I right?" 

Problem is, most days I don't put on a stitch of makeup.  I guess I'll just have to go around with one crazy brow until it fills in again.  Moral of the story...the nose hair trimmer is meant for one thing, and one thing only...your nose. 

4 comments:

kathy said...

What, no picture?

Jill said...

oh denise i laughed the whole way through! i just love you so much! you brightened my day! i really need to get rid of my fuzz on my face too. i have lots due to pregnancy. this post reminds me of Joey from friends. remember? here's a link for the pic. http://watchfriendsonline.info/tag/friends/

Melissa said...

Eyebrows are sooooo overrated! I laughed too. Outloud. A lot. Love you.

angie curtis said...

I Love reading your blog :)
Comb your brows down and then trim all the long ones (WITH SCISSORS) then comb them up and do the same. Works wonders.