Monday, February 8, 2010

Impressions of SLC Now



It's been six months since we moved here from what I refer to as the armpit of Utah AKA Tremonton.  Although I did think the people in Tremonton were down to earth, I still can't bring myself to like that place.  Dry, ugly with freeways running through it, it's just not my cup of tea I guess. 

But what I've learned is neither is Salt Lake City.  It's an alright place to day trip, but I can't say that living here is anything special.  Like most cities the conveniences of a variety of places to eat and shop have been nice, I'll give it that. 

I'll put it this way.  Salt Lake City feels like a pair of jeans that you are five pounds too heavy to wear.  They almost fit, but that button is just fixing to pop open at any second and your thighs have never felt bigger.  There is no room to stretch out.

Honestly my chest feels tight and I can't relax until I drive north past Farr West.  Too many people y'all.  Y'all know I've been watching too much Paula Dean when y'all and fixing start popping up in my posts.  I'm fixing to eat that butter laden cheese biscuit y'all.  Her voice is like honey to my ears.  Her and that Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten.  Confession: I think Ina Garten's freckles are the cutest things ever, is that weird?  I just can't trust Giada though or that awful semi-homemade woman.  Two skinny broads peddling food?  Yeah, I don't think so. 

I didn't get on here to critique the personalities of The Food Network though, for heaven's sake, I came on here to just say that I don't know what I am anymore.  I didn't think I was a country girl, but I sure am not digging the city either.  I want culture and diversity and people who are engaged in the broader outside world...and I want less people, less buildings cluttering the skyline, less snobbishness, less dogs, less traffic.  Is that too much to ask for?  Does such a place exist? 

5 comments:

kathy said...

Yes. It's called "Logan". I figured that out after living in San Diego, the wilds of Wyoming, Ogden, and Richmond. Actually, it's technical name is "Millville", which gives you all the benefits of Logan, but is 5 minutes away and quiet. Seems like we all have to pay our dues to get to nirvana.

Denise said...

Kathy I love Logan. If it were up to me that's where we'd be. The wilds of Wyoming...I've got to hear about that one.

Becca said...

First off I love Ina but Sandra Lee has saved my bacon many a time. Did you know Paula Deen skinny Dips? TMI?
Go to cmt.com and watch the Cribs with her in it. Her house WOW. She has a deep fat fryer inlaid into her kitchen counter top...Maybe this is how she keeps her figure....
Can't wait to see ya.

Melissa said...

Every time we go to SLC for anything Josh and I alway comment how we feel like country bumpkins down there (but were really not...). We don't mesh down there either. You guys should just move back here... brig could commute. Maybe stay the week down there and come home on weekends... :) I doubt we will ever leave

Jill said...

I love that picture of SLC so pretty but I totally agree with you. I could never live there. I also like Paula Dean. I'm pretty sure I'm like you not city and not country. so what are we? You should come up with a term we could use.