Monday, October 18, 2010

Born Enough

I've wanted you for so very long now
Felt you just out of my reach
At times I felt a phantom handprint
Right where a child's might be
And now you're so close, so very close
I can't wait to see your sweet face
To wonder at the innocence in your eyes
A time to feel purified and new
You sweet breath so reassuring on my neck
Your warm weight in my arms
Your overwhelming need for me
And this time I will not doubt
I will not be afraid
I can't offer perfection
But I offer my whole self
Can I confess to you a shameful thing?
I've never felt like enough for anyone
And now I know I was wrong
Have always been wrong about that
I am enough
I was born enough
And so will you be
Just like your sister
No one is born broken
It's a lie that the world whispers over and over again
Until one day you believe it
Never believe it
You will come to us
Exactly how you were meant to
And that will always be enough

- Denise Cooper Smith