Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Have Some Sad News Mom...

See this face...the one that looks so innocent?  Actually I think she was just squinting into the Yellowstone sun in this one.  Oh well.  I couldn't find a picture of her looking sad, or innocent. 

At about 2 P.M. today a feeling of overwhelming tiredness overcame my prego body and if I didn't lay down right then I might have keeled over with fatigue.  Growing a baby is hard work.  So I say to my little girl, "Let's me and you snuggle together in my bed and we can both have a snooze."  She was game and I was surprised, but I wasn't going to argue with her.  So we lay down and she tosses and turns for a while and then informs me she is going to go and lay down in her own bed.  Smart girl.  At this point I promptly fall asleep.  Ava promptly sneaks into the living room to watch cartoons. 

When I wake up a half hour later I'm in need of an ice cold beverage.  So I look in my meager change purse and wonder at how fast my stash of quarters has seemed to dwindle.  But all that matters is I have a buck.  So Ava and I drive to get my beverage.  On the return trip home Ava suddenly speaks up in a quiet voice:

"Mom...I have some sad news."

"You do?"

"Yeah.  While you were laying down today I took some money out of your purse."

"Ah, then that explains it.  I thought I was missing some quarters.  Did you take my quarters?"

"Mom, I took lots of money."

I giggled.  "Thank you for being honest with me, Ava.  You're such a good girl."

"I thought you'd be mad."

"Next time just ask me if you want some money out of my purse."

"Well, you were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you."

I love that little girl.  She is so much fun.  And really her stealing my quarters or lots of money is really just payback for all the times I took quarters out of my Dad's quarter jar to go and get a Coke out of the pop machine.  Only I never told him.  That's my confession for the day.  Sorry Dad.

3 comments:

kathy said...

Did she also borrow the car keys and make her own Diet Coke run while you were sleeping? That's what I would have done.

Melissa said...

you were always such a rebel! And ava is a total crack up. I am glad she got your wit! It is ONE of my favorite things about you.

Jill said...

who didn't steal their dads change??? Ha ha I love that Ava. that is sad news.