Thursday, October 27, 2011

Crazy Hair Day!

It was Spirit Week at Ava's elementary school.  Which I find ironic since Halloween is just around the corner.  As Ava would quip, "Get it?"  Anyway,  Monday she wore blue.  Tuesday was nerd day which she refused to participate in because she is too cool I guess.  Wednesday she dressed like her teacher.  Today was crazy hair day.  I may not know a lot about a lot of things, but I know about crazy hair.  If only every day of grades four through six were crazy hair day I would have been the talk of the school.  This was in the days before I discovered hair gel.  Which pretty much meant frizz fest every day of my life.  Ah, the good old days.  But I digress.  Here is what we came up with for Ava.
FYI the hair color said purple on the bottle, but it was pretty pink.  Which suited Ava just fine as that was the color she wanted in the first place. 

I worried later that she looked a little like "Hell Boy".  If you don't know who that is you should thank your lucky stars and it's likely you aren't married to a nerd.  Can you believe they made a Hell Boy 2?  There must be more nerds out there than I thought. 

The back.  It was pretty traumatic for her to sit still long enough for us to make this creation.  Both Brigham and I at one point threatened bodily harm if she didn't stop whining.  I did the braids and Brigham cut the tie wire and installed it.  I must admit I was inspired by this picture.

Bad quality.  I admit I'm akin to an eighty year-old when it comes to technology.  I'm sure there was a better way to do this.  We don't have a scanner though.  Oh well.  The girl on the right is my seven year-old self dressed as Pippy Long-Stockings.  The cute girl on the left is my baby sister, Dawn sporting the witch costume all three of the Cooper sisters wore at one point or another.  She was two at the time.  Anyway, Dad somehow engineered a wire hanger in my hair to create the stiff braids.  Do they even make wire hangers anymore?

Back from 1988 we arrive back in present day time with a very alarming site.  To the left is my artistic handiwork.  You didn't know I was so talented, did you?  Hehe.  While the girls were painting at my sister-in-law's house last week we spray painted our pumpkins black.  Holly chose to use three pumpkins and write the letter B-O-O.  It was super cute.  I tried to paint a ghost.  Yeah, it didn't work so I tried to manipulate the shape into a skull.  This skull was supposed to look like "The Punisher" symbol.  It ended up looking like an Asian jelly fish.  I really got the giggles while I painted it.  I kept trying to salvage it but kept making it worse.  It's slightly disturbing and clearly the work of a psychopath.


This was the side I tried the original ghost on.  It's funny as well.  What I didn't capture in this picture was Ava was doing "cross bones" with her own arms.  She looked a little like Coolio flashing gang signs so I cut it out.  I don't want her future Ivy League school digging up any dirt on her from her gangsta past. 

Ava was sad when we washed her hair out.  She asked if they were going to have another crazy hair day any time soon.  I informed her that it was unlikely.  To which she frowned and then asked for a cup of chocolate milk while we read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Tomorrow is the big finale with a Halloween program at school, followed by a costume parade.  It's so fun to watch kids experience all the joys of school. 

4 comments:

Becca said...

I remember that awesome hair do of yours! I miss you!

kathy said...

You both rock the Pippi Longstocking look amazingly well! I did it myself, once upon a childhood Halloween. How many generations will that look endure? Will people eventually forget she existed? I hope not!

Jill said...

oh man! i love her hair! you did so good. look at you french braiding.

Dawn and Chase said...

That is one awesome job of Crazy hair. you rocked it. Ava looks awesome. And I totally like your pumpkins too. Serious!