Thursday, December 20, 2012

Next Year I'll be Just as Good...

I don't really know where I get these ideas from.  This year I thought along with our advent calendar that I'd give the girls various gifts throughout the holiday season...you know from ME, because Santa takes care of the big day, right. 
Their first advent present was a Little People Nativity.  I envisioned them quietly playing with it in it's designated perch.  Maybe the spirit of Christmas would wash over them and influence their behavior for good...
The first picture of the above two is Bree realizing she has to share the Baby Jesus.  Ava, ever the diplomat, decides that the Angel will be a good swap.  Brielle doesn't seem to think so.
The girls tussle for the Baby Jesus like line backers after a fumble.  Ah the Christmas Spirit.  Nothing like it. 
 The fit continues. 
Don't worry.  She's a girl of many moods, much like her mama.  And like her mama tantrums are fleeting.  It's a disconcerting trait for even tempered people to deal with.  It leaves Brig steaming for days where I move on to the next mood faster than Taylor Swiffer and her many men. 
 Another day of advent gifts.  I will not be doing this next year. 


Mostly because of this one.  "Mom, where's my present?  I want my present."  Lowering expectations is always good for a child.  Have I mentioned when you ask Ava what she wants to be whens he grows up she says a princess?  I've tried explaining to her that that would involve us becoming extraordinarily wealthy, moving to Europe, mixing with the blue bloods, and getting her introduced to an heir to one of Europe's few remaining thrones.  She usually just rolls her eyes and says, "Mom, just stop."  Pardon me for being reasonable. 

Brig and I celebrated my 31st b-day.  Should I be concerned that getting older doesn't upset me?  It just doesn't.  Maybe I'm in denial.  

It's difficult to take an arm's length photograph of you and your date when your date is a foot taller than you.  I had on heels and was on my tippy toes and we still barely made it into the photo together.  Hey, I'm not complaining if my other chins didn't make it. 
We went to Pagoda and ate sushi.  We didn't like it as much as Ichiban.  I like to speculate about the lives of other people when we go out.  Maybe it's because I like to tell stories.  I don't know, but while we were eating I tried to overhear just enough conversation to flesh out the personalities of our fellow diners. 
I let Brig order the food when we get sushi because although I love the taste of sushi if I have to read the description of what is in the roll then I get a little turned off and have a hard time eating it.  But even I recognized the bright orange pebbles on top of one of our rolls as bait that my brother used to carry around in his tackle box.  I still ate it though.  And it still tasted good.  Is that wrong?
Baking cookies.  The girls spirit away a bowl full of sprinkles.  Happiness ensues. 



Dress up!


 Princess in training?



Heaven help her, she's got my nose.  Such a strong gene.  Brig's nose gene didn't stand a chance.  Sorry Bree.


Sleeping in the car after a fruitful trip to IKEA.  I tried to catch the Frozen Yogurt devastation on camera, but you can't really get a good idea of it by this picture.  I gave her the cone as we left Draper and when I turned around when we parked to pick up Ava from school the sticky melted goo was everywhere. 
Our Ward Christmas Party was last night.  The theme was A Night in Bethlehem.  We were instructed to dress up and being the good sheep of a Mormon that I am I did just that ;)  (That was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.  No one take offense please.)  I'll add a couple of these for good measure :) :)
Ava and I dressed up.  Ava wanted to be Mary.  She nearly succeeded but looked more and more like a pirate as the night wore on, what with her swashbuckling pink boots and her sash that she refused to wear at her natural waist.  "It's too high, Mom!"  She says this about underwear and pants too when I try to put her right.  She's a low rider all right. 

I didn't take any pictures at the party, and I wish I would have.  Brig was working so it was just me and the girls.  Bree revolted and tore her pillow case turned ancient Judean smock off almost as soon as it draped her shoulders.  She's definitely not a sheep.  The party was catered by Mazza, a popular middle-eastern restaurant just down the street and we all sat on pillows around low to the ground table tops and ate family style.  It was fun.  Brielle was scared of me for half the meal because of my head scarf.  She wouldn't even make eye contact with me.  So I had to remove it and then she recognized me again.  It's so weird.  Same thing happens with my shower cap.  Sorry about all the pictures.  I just don't post as often as I should lately.  Hope you all have a cheery holiday. 

3 comments:

Becca said...

Her little nose is adorable! They are growing up

kathy said...

I'm so glad the world didn't end today, because I'd be sad if I didn't get to read your blog any more. I think yours is my favorite. And how do I know the world didn't end, and that we aren't actually dead? Because my body has not been perfected, and I am not with Jim Morrison. Dang.

Melissa said...

What did you guys have to eat? After I watched not without my daughter a few weeks back all I want to eat is Tandoori Oven! So good! You are awesome. Inst of being one of those over achieving elf on the shelf moms you should follow my example.