Saturday, January 12, 2013

Random Pictures and an Excerpt

 Rockin' it Bree style.
What follows is an excerpt from a story I am writing.  It's actually an excerpt from the second book, well, what I hope will be the second book.  You can't really call your story a book until you get it published :)  I'm revising the first "book" and then hopefully I'll find the courage to submit it to agents. 

The tree stood naked in the misty moolight, it's branches gnarled and clutching like the arthritic fingers of an old crone.  I felt it then, with the icy breath of winter's torment stinging my cheeks and the tips of my ears.  A shiver of cold fear rippled up my spine, coarsing through my limbs leaving an unpleasant feeling in my fingertips akin to touching an electric fence on a dare.

I turned slowly, knowing my eyes would not find what I knew to be there.  The breast of the hill curved upward away from me.  The snow resting there, virgin and untrodden.  Just over the rise they massed.  Silent and waiting.  The only movement would be that of their war dogs.  Their massive paws stamping in the snow, restlessly.  Their hot breath rising through the icy air.

My feet began to carry me up the hill before I had decided to go to them.  Although Zavin had told me it was my choice, he knew for a girl like me that it was not.  I was compelled.  They knew it and as much as I willed it not to be, I knew it to.  I would go to them.  I would do what they had ask of me. I pushed down the urge to sob...to scream out in anger.  Diordan's face swam before my eyes.  The deep rich brown of his eyes, like freshly churned earth.

Only an hour before I laid beside him in front of the crackling fire.  Our woolen cloaks hanging on chairs brought close to the flames steamed as they dried.  Diordan dipped into slumber as I rested my head on his chest.  The even rise and fall soothed me.  My tired body willed my mind to follow him into dreams.  The warmth filled me up like a brimming bowl of soup.  His hand had found mine before he had drifted off.  Our fingers lay twined on his stomach.  I studied the scar that ran length-wise from the tip of his rib cage to his hip bone.  The skin still red and angry.  It would takes years for it to fade.  Diordan sighed.  His dark brows knitted together in an expression of worry.  I came up onto my elbow and untwined my fingers.  I reached up and pushed the lock of dark hair that always fell forward onto his forehead away from his face.  My fingertips brushed his cheek as I withdrew my hand and he mumbled my name in his sleep.

I worried he'd wake then, for even as I had promised him I would not go, I knew I could not keep that promise.  I rose and touched the cloth of my cloak, testing it for dryness.  Still slightly damp I threw it around my shoulders anyway.  It was time to go.  I slipped on my shoes by the door and cast one last furtive glance at the sleeping figure by the fire dreaming lover's dreams and blissfully unaware of the betrayal that was coming.  The skin of his face and neck were flush with warmth.  His dark leather breeks looked dry now.  I nearly forgot I had his tunic on.  I undid my cloak and slipped the warm tunic over my head.  He'd need it when he woke.  My dress was nearly dry beneath.  Fastening my cloak once more I opened the door of the cozy lodge and feeling like Judas I slipped out, shutting the door silently behind me.  I couldn't look back.  I wouldn't.  Instead I focused on the trail leading away into the woods.  I quickly melted into the forest.

Now here I stood.  My head raised in expectation, looking toward the crest of the hill.  Like a phantom slipping in and out of shadows, Zavin appeared before me moments before I topped the last rise.  His face betrayed nothing as he appraised my loose hair, flushed cheeks and the tears brimming in my eyes.  His words echoed in my head, words he had spoken at our last meeting.  There are causes that are bigger than love, he had said, callously I had thought at the time.

Without a word he pulled a long sword from beneath his cloak.  The silver gleamed in the moonlight.  Slowly he raised his arm drawing the lethal point of the sword level with my heart.  My gaze locked with Zavin's dove gray eyes.  Unflinching I took a step forward until the metal prodded the wool of my cloak.  He raised one eyebrow in surprise, "You're saving his life.  You know that, don't you?"

"Yes.  It doesn't mean I don't despise lying to him," I say icily.

"I told you you'd not be forced into...."

"Save your breath.  Don't talk to me of choice.  None of this has been about choice.  You know that and I know that."

Gradually he tilted his head, nodding once, conceding me this one small thing.  I wrapped both of my hands around the width of the blade.  The steel cut into the delicate skin of my palms.  I hardly felt it.  Only a slight burning that I welcomed in the frost of the night.  Zavin stepped back, letting me take the weight of the battle hardened sword.  I tilted the blade vertical and moved my seeping palms to the hilt.  I raised it until it was level with Zavin's chest.

"He's going to hate me, and for that I hate you," I warned, flint behind every word.

Zavin smiled sardonically, "Aye.  I know that." 

"Don't forget it."  With that I slung the flat of the blade over my shoulder and marched toward the waiting warriors that were now mine to lead.

Don't cry for me Argentina.  My ugly shoes may be gone, but they've been replaced with these.  I haven't had a new pair of shoes in two years.  They're super comfy and my favorite color to boot. 
Ava eating a triple decker jelly sandwich, hold the PB.  She made it herself
Bree with her many stuffed friends, snoozing the afternoon away. 
Mixing drinks, Ava style.  In Ava's world every drink should be sipped from the refined edges of a champagne flute. 

Brielle takes a million pictures on my iphone, usually of the same subject.  Here she is very interested in capturing herself wearing her big sister's shoes around. 

No comments: