Friday, December 23, 2011

Temple Square

We'd been meaning to get down to Temple Square for the past few weeks.  The stars finally aligned and on Brielle's first birthday we headed downtown.  We drove around for about twenty minutes trying to find a park in which time Brielle fell fast asleep.
Needless to say she was not thrilled about being woken up to get into a stroller in cold, cold weather.  Ava commandeered the camera and the random shots are all hers. 

 The white blob on my cheek is a snowflake falling in front of my face, in case you were wondering. 
It was beautiful, but like I said very, very cold and very, very crowded.  We rushed around the square as Brielle became more and more whiny.
This is not how I envisioned my first birthday party, Mom.  Can you not see the exposed skin on my shins?  Hello?
Random people captured by Ava on film.

Slight tangent: When we were crossing the street I noticed that Brig was still standing back on the sidewalk talking to a tall blonde woman.  Ava and I and Brielle hurried across the street and waited for Brig.  Ava said, "Who's Dad talking to?"  I replied that I had no idea although I thought to myself, Probably a relative.  See Brig's parents both come from large families making the chances of us bumping into a cousin or an aunt or uncle much higher than the general population.  One time after we had moved into a new ward we went to Brig pointed out a tall woman and said, "I think that's my cousin."  I remember saying, "You think?"  Who doesn't know for certain if someone is a cousin or not?  My husband.  Anyway, after he crossed the street I said, "Who was that?" and I just smiled when he said, "My Aunt Char's daughter."  i.e. another cousin. 

Ava wanted to ride in one of the carriage for hires circling the block.  Didn't happen.  Ava wanted some hot cocoa a vendor was selling.  Didn't happen.  There was a long line, plus we had no cash on us.  When we were in the car Ava said, "Why didn't we get hot cocoa?"  When we explained we didn't have any cash to buy the cocoa she said, "But they give you the money to buy the cocoa.  They hand it to you."  I'm not sure how she got that idea in her head but there was no convincing her otherwise.  When we got home Brielle had had it and I promptly put her to bed without blowing out any candles or unwrapping her present.  She didn't seem to mind.  Next year we will try to get to Temple Square a bit earlier.  Maybe we'll avoid the crowds that way.

1 comment:

Jill said...

i love going to temple square but at the same time i really dislike going. it's so pretty but i wish you could ride around in golf carts with heaters. am i right!?