Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Didn't Want to Wake Up.

Two nights ago I had a wonderful dream.  I fell in love.  I fell in love with a stranger.  He told me my thighs were amazing.  My thighs!  And I was just the way I look in real life, which means he was either clearly lying or really loves jiggly thighs.  The feelings of first love were so real and vivid.  It felt amazing.  He was handsome and romantic and he adored me.

At this point my dream took a turn for the bizarre, as they sometimes do.  I was suddenly pregnant and a serial killer was on the loose and my lover was gunned down in cold blood and I was taking the subway to get away from the killer.  I have a lot of pregnancy dreams.  I'm always turning up pregnant in dreamland.  Most of the time the baby daddy is someone famous.  Like Ringo Starr (doesn't he have a dreamy nose?) or Gerard Butler.

Back to the dream at hand.  Regardless of the scary ending, when I woke up I didn't want to be awake.  I wanted to climb back inside that dream where the all consuming feelings at the beginning of a love affair make you feel as if you could walk on water.  It bothered me all day.  My husband and I have worked hard on our relationship to get it to where it is today.  I quickly learned that part of the work of a marriage is honestly...lowering your expectations.  With the stresses of finances and children and integrating two different family styles that first glow of love that you once shared with your spouse can simply not be sustained.  That's not to say that you don't love each other, it's just a more day to day constant of being there for each other in whatever capacity is needed.  I know this.  And yet...and yet I still yearn for that novelty and excitement. 

If someone could bottle those very potent feelings, that person would be a very rich person.  In counseling we talked about the concept of what being in love means.  People talk about falling in and out of love.  But I think the most long lasting and enduring marriages are made between two people who choose each day to stay in love with their spouse.  I'm not saying it's easy.  I'm the last person to judge someone else's relationship.  I know there is a lot of behind the scenes details that aren't apparent to the outside world. 

The fact is the people we are is not static.  We all change and grow in different ways throughout our lives.  It's difficult when five, ten, twenty years into a relationship you may look over at your spouse and wonder at who that person has become.  I think being married takes an awful lot of patience and compassion.  When something is really bugging me about Brigham I have to sit down and think of all the ways I fall short and the actions I either take or don't take to make our union a happy one.  Sometimes in the harsh light of scrutiny I realize I'm doing things to aggravate him on purpose.  I'm kind of a stinker in that way.  Hey, I never claimed to be perfect. 

There are days I get angry about the realities of marriage and family life.  I think to myself Why didn't anyone tell me it would be this way?!  I grew up on the myth of marriage being the end all and be all of a woman's life.  Why in the heck would anyone who claims to care about your well-being not be honest with you?  Although I do have issues with some of the things still taught in my culture pertaining to marriage and motherhood, I also think, even if someone would have said, "Listen, you might want to really think about being married.  He's not always going to tell you how beautiful and fabulous you are each day.  He's going to doing things that annoy the crap out of you, then he's going to get you pregnant and the spawn you created are going to enslave you to their very rigorous demands of well-being.  You're going to have messy little finger prints all over your walls and you just might curse the day you thought to yourself how great it felt to be kissed by the man that became your husband."  Even if someone had told me this, I'm sure I would have thought, yeah, well it might be that way for you, but it's not going to be that way for me. 

I think naivete, denial and a good dose of Vampire literature keeps the human race reproducing.  Seriously though, like everything in life anything worth doing or having is going to take work, lots and lots of work and that includes family life.  I still think the best advice to follow is LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS, Cinderella.  It's interesting to me that real life is almost the complete opposite of the fairytale.  When I grew up in my parents "castle" I had someone who cooked and cleaned for me.  I had someone who worked each day just so I could buy new clothes each year.  Now after I've married my "prince" I'm the one cooking and cleaning for everyone else.  I wear a lot of "rags" all day long and I live in a basement that smells strongly of moth balls and the occasional wafting of sewer. 

Knowing all this, would I still have even given my husband a second glance?  I think I would.  I'd hope I would.  After all, what is the point of life if you have all you ever wanted but no one to share it with?  Relationships with anyone take sacrifice and work.  I wanted to be a mother.  I wanted to be a wife.  I could have been better prepared.  But I wouldn't trade the messy chaos of my life for an empty mansion. 

If you're still reading I really don't know what my point was.  It's just what I've been thinking about over the last couple of days.  I don't know if men analyze marriage as much as women.  I kind of doubt it.  Does anyone else feel the way I do?  I feel guilty for feeling this way.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

So funny this is you'r topic today. I was pouting the other night and when josh asked me what was wrong I broke down and told him I missed how our relationship use to be. The staying up all night talking because we couldn't get enough of each other. The flirting and the making out. Taking a picnic to the park and doing crossword puzzles together in the evening. Running off for a weekend if we wanted. Not being able to keep our hands to ourselves. :). And he said what you said. You can't keep the newness forever. The responsibilities we have now are far greater than the ones we have then. We have the stresses and worries that come along with being a parent. We don't stay up talking all night because we've heard all of each others stories at least three times. We just have to accept it, and focus on the other better thing we have now. It's hard.

kathy said...

Those dreams are the best! I wish I could control my dreams, so I could have one every night where some guy totally worships me, and I feel so.....in love. You are not alone in your feelings. Marriage is too often a drudgery, and we stay only because we have nowhere to go. I love my husband dearly, and wouldn't trade him or my life for anything, but that doesn't mean it's all a big bed of roses. I think it's important to keep an ongoing dreamworld in our heads, where we can retreat to late at night. It makes the harsh light of day a little easier to take sometimes. And, yeah, Ringo is adorable! I just bought a huge (3'x4') print of the Beatles from 1964 (at their cutest) and hung it in my living room. The husband is not too keen on it, but I'm here more than he is, so it stays. I don't think I make sense most of the time, either, but I get what you are saying, so I'm hoping it goes both ways!

Jill said...

your dreams are crazy compared to mine! are you sure you are the one pregnant and not me! I'm always married to matt in my dreams. well at least most of the time.
Yes i do also miss the newness like melissa said. that's what date night is for and i think we should all go on more of those! ( we never do date night. we always swear we will start but never do)

Jill said...

i typed that wrong but you know what i meant. right. :)

Katie and Co. said...

I haven't stopped by your blog for quite awhile, but it's always fun to see what you write because it's like reading about my own life. I have those dreams often as well--not near as often as I would like. :-) I've decided that infactuation is my drug of choice, with food being a close second. Being the depressed/overly-analytical person that I am, I'm prone to self-medicating and what feels better than infactuation?! I heard something on Dr. Laura today that inspired me: she read an e-mail in which the woman said that she and her husband "chose each other every day." That's my new goal--to choose him every day, especially on the days where I'm lamenting my foolish, young decisions and consumed with looking back at all the things I should have seen/known/heard, etc.

My marriage became infinitely better when I lowered my expectations. All I ask for is basic kindness and respect, like you would give a stranger. Sad? Maybe. But it's how I make it work. I drove both him and myself crazy with my never-ending disappointment at his failure to perform exactly the way I imagined he should.

Sometimes my heart still aches with "what if's" and I just skip over the part of my patriarchal blessing that tells me that I'll have a special closeness with my husband. I turn on Dr. Laura and get a dose of her wisdom and think about how grateful I am that he works so I can be at home, that I have my own house and a nice car, and so on, because of his hard work. And if I'm REALLY in a good place, I'll ask Heavenly Father to help me see him as He sees him--a perfect son of God. And if none of that works...I fall back to my safety net: my children deserve a happy home with 2 parents. We may not be madly in love, but we can be kind and respectful. My children deserve the benefits of growing up in an intact household. And I'll walk through hell to make that happen for them.

Another inspiring idea by Dr. Laura: if you don't "feel" in love, then "act" like you're in love, or how you think a person in love should act, and one day you might find yourself "feeling" the love without having to "act." Thanks for your raw honesty--few people (in Utah) have the courage to tell it like it is. If you ever need a sympathetic ear, I'm here for ya!