Monday, September 5, 2011

Kindergarten, Here We Come!

The day before I was a wreck.  I kept crying off and on through out the day.  How was it possible that my little baby was five?  Weren't we just blowing out a solitary candle on a birthday cake? 
She was my first baby.  She came to me right when I needed her.  She has taught me things about myself I could have learned no other way than by being her mother. 
I put on a brave face the day of.  Brig was off of work that day.  It was nice to have him with us.  I worried if she'd be okay. 
When she sat down on the rug and turned to a girl next to her and said, "Hi, I'm Ava.  Want to be my friend?"  I knew she'd be okay.  We hugged her good-bye and as soon as we walked out of the school I collapsed into a cascade of tears.  Brigham smiled and put his arm around me.  He suggested we go to The Olive Garden for lunch.  Ah, that boy.  He knows how refined carbs cure all my hurts.  They are the diet kryptonite to my superman.  Those bread sticks really are like crack.  Not that I've ever experienced crack, except when it comes to the garden variety plumber's crack.  Anyway, the point is my baby's done gone to kindergarten. 

I'm sure she'd never do that to me, would you, Brielle?

5 comments:

Jill said...

seriously, can our kids stop growing up!? i just want babies and toddlers forever. she looks so excited.

Becca said...

When did we get SO old! I am so sad about all of are kids growing up. Cannot wait for our girls weekend!

Chan said...

I cry every year...it's not just the first year that is hard. I walk home from the school with my head bent and tears streaming down my cheeks.

Melissa said...

This is why, perhaps against my better judgement, I didn't send addison to pre-school this year. I need her home with me as long as possible. :(

Kel said...

Oh, come on, ladies!! School definitely has its perks. Kathy and I had a standing date for a celebratory breakfast every year on the first day our kids went to school, and I really don't think we were unfit mothers!!