Friday, November 16, 2012

That's Just the Way God Made Me

As Ava's gotten older I've noticed she is less of an open book with me.  When she gets home from school I'll ask her questions about her day and most days she doesn't really elaborate beyond the facts.  This makes me a little sad, but maybe she's just more like her Dad who you sometimes really have to work to get information out of. 

But other times when we are doing things together, like baking cookies or cleaning her room or something like that she'll just start telling me things.  The other day she said, "The kids at school asked me why my front teeth stick out so far." 

Me: "Oh yeah?  What did you say?"

Ava: "I told them that's just the way God made me."

Me: "That's a good answer, because it's true.  You can't argue with God."

Ava: "Nope, you can't." 

Although in a few years she's sure to have a mouth full of metal to fix what the Man upstairs made, the twinge of pain I felt for her when she told me what other children had said was quickly replaced by pride that she would be so certain that any physical feature she has is nothing to be ashamed of.  I wish I could have been so sure in my childhood about the real or imagined physical features that caused me shame.  My little girl came to us with a lot of inborn wisdom that has been manifested time and again.  I'm so glad she's mine. 

2 comments:

kathy said...

My heart broke a little. You are doing a good job with her.

Melissa said...

That made me cry. She is so precious. I love you both.