Monday, June 22, 2009

Confession

I love the UFC.




A couple of years ago my husband started going to "fight night" at a friend's house. I was grateful for these nights. Call me strange but I love some alone time. I'd put Ava to bed at 8 pm and then the world was my oyster. Well the small Logan apartment was my oyster and activities would usually range from soaks in the tub with candles and classical music playing to incredibly indulgent chick flicks that my husband wouldn't watch with me in a million years. Brig would come home around midnight or a little later and I would be passed out in bed, legs and arms askew luxuriating in my aloneness in our queen sized bed. Brig occasionally would try to get me to come along with him. But I didn't want to give all that alone time up.


Now a few years later and some Spike TV and I got hooked on a show called The Ultimate Fighter: UK vs. USA. Oh man. Those accents, those abs, those wicked upper cuts. Those Brits made the men of Team USA look like school boys. Whiney, gossipy, low class school boys. And admittedly Nick Osipczak (pictured above and resembling another tall, dark and handsome man in my life) had alot to do with my initial interest in the show I soon was just blown away by the type of training these fighters do and the heart they show stepping into that octagon ready for a beating.


Saturday was the finale at The Palms in Las Vegas with 3 Brits representing and only one American making it to the finals. And some of those other fights on the ticket...wow. I can't believe the punishment these men can take and dish out. Mixed Martial Arts may be barbaric to some, but to me it's very oddly entertaining, combining the best of wrestling, martial arts and boxing. I know it's a long shot that any of you are fans of the sport, but I just had to tell someone, anyone about how amazing the fights were on Saturday night. Sanchez vs. Guida...these men are insane!


I'm sooo looking forward to the fight coming up between the two coaches of The Ultimate Fighter: Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson. Does anyone want to come over and split the Pay-per-view fee?

11 comments:

Becca said...

I FREAKIN LOVE YOU! We also dabble in this 39.95 per month love.
I almost bought a UFC hoodie while shopping this weekend. I though tthis may be taking it over the line. ( Even though I have been seeing Matt Hughes for some time now...)

Becca said...

PS- Bisping is also very sexy oh- and strong

Denise said...

Oh yeah, Bisping all the way. Besides being one handsome devil I thought he did a way better job of coaching and motivating his team, as far as how they edited it anyway.

Jill said...

I know I'm not "cool" but I HATE UFC. sorry.

Becca said...

Jill-sounds like you want to brawl again, don't you?
(remember Fredrico's a year ago a heated UFC debate!)

Denise said...

Don't apologize Jill. You're cool. We just have a difference of opinion on UFC and that's ok.

Dawn and Chase said...

UFC, really? I can't believe it! I must not be cool either, I don't like watching fights. I will watch boxing with Chase from time to time, but it isn't my favorite.

Denise said...

I don't like boxing either...snore. But UFC is a lot more exciting, most of the time. In my humble opinion....

Candi Merritt said...

Oh Denise! My husband is always asking me to go to fight night with him. I always refuse. I just don't see the point. However, your mention of abs and accents does have me intrigued:)

The Barth Family said...

That is so funny! I watch UFC with my husband sometimes, and he still has fight night every month! We miss our Utah friends though :(. And my husband would love to tell you that Michael Bisping is the worst person/coach/fighter ever. He can't stand the guy. My husband is Henderson all the way!

Denise said...

Oh so is Brig, he's called me a traitor through the whole series. He hopes that Bisping get's his mouthy face knocked out by Henderson!