Monday, June 29, 2009

It's All about the Boxes

It's all about the boxes this week. Do you know why it's all about the boxes? Because WE'RE MOVING ON OUT OF HERE!!!!!!! Pardon my yelling. I'm just a tad bit excited. Brigham accepted a job offer in Salt Lake City. Personally I was hoping for Austin, TX. Don't ask me why, but I just wanted to live there. Brig had no intention of it though. Just like he has no intention of ever indulging my English countryside fantasy.
We drove down this last Saturday and looked at 12 different apartments. Wow. What a range of places. Every place I looked at I tried to imagine my mother's face as we'd be moving in. Most of those places I'm pretty sure she'd be crying her eyes out and cursing Brigham for taking her daughter to live in such a place. But we found a wonderful, wonderful neighborhood and a great landlady. We will be living in, don't laugh, a basement apartment underneath the landlady and her husband and two older sons. The house is old and charming and is blocks from Liberty Park and Ninth and Ninth.
I have to give Brig props for even considering a basement apartment because he really does not like living in basements. The ceilings are never high enough for him and he loves sunshine (horrible sunshine) pouring in through big windows. But he knew I was in trouble when we parked outside the house. When we climbed back in the car he looked over at me and said, "You're smitten aren't you?" I replied, "Heaven help me but I'm in deep smit." So thank you honey for indulging me because you knew I'd be happiest there. When I called and made the final deal with the landlady after I hung up he said, "Are you crying?" Yeah, that's how relieved I was to find a place that was nice and safe.
I'm not sure how long we'll be in Salt Lake. The plan is for Brig to get his masters while he is working. Both of us would like to live out of state for once in our lives, but I guess if we really like Salt Lake then we'll stay for however long. I don't know when we'll get internet hooked up again after we move in this Saturday so this post could be up for a while. Taking the Mattress War to SLC, can't wait!

4 comments:

kathy said...

May I be the first to congratulate you on the beginning of real life! I remember when Scott got his first "out of college" job and we packed up 3 little boys and moved to San Diego. What an adventure! I hope the move and job work out for you. And hey, after Cache Valley and Box Elder county, Salt Lake will seem like a foreign country. No need to move out of state! Good luck, and don't get too busy to blog.

Jill said...

I'm so happy you are happy. it make me smile.

The Huffakers said...

Denise!!!
Yeah moving out and on will feel so good huh? (I know, been there done that.) So glad that you have found a nice place to live, and hey there is nothing wrong with basement apartments. hehe. Hope the move goes well. Wish we could be there to help. I wish you were moving to Texas too because we might move to Arkansas and then we would be sort of close. oh well. maybe later in life we will be neighbors again.
Congrats

Ericka said...

so so sorry we won't be there this weekend to help...it's all Darren's fault though you should know. I am sad. I so wanted to see your new place and catch up on things. I guess that will just have to wait. But at least now I have a good excuse to get out of town, right! So happy for you guys!!!