Monday, January 9, 2012

Good Book, Good Movie







Growing up my favorite Christmas present by far was always a novel to read during the break.  This Christmas I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  It's the story of a man named Louis Zamperini who grew up in Southern California.  He becomes a world class track star who eventually gets to compete in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany.  He trains for the next Olympics but World War II breaks out, ruining his plans.  He is eventually drafted into the Army Air Corps and is trained as a bombardier.  The book follows his travails through WWII and what happens to him after the war.  Although some parts of the book were really hard to read, in the end it is so inspirational and confirms that life is a precious gift and that healing and forgiveness are possible even after the most horrendous trials. 

It's been a long while since I sat down and watched a movie and afterwards thought to myself what a wonderful experience it was.  For me, Midnight in Paris was one of those rare movies.  Gil, played by the very likable Owen Wilson, is a successful Hollywood script writer vacationing in Paris with his fiance (Rachel McAdams)  and her parents.  Gil has written a novel, but has doubts about his ability to cut it in the literature world.  He laments "selling out" for the prosperity his shallow and unfulfilling job has provided him, and regrets not trying to make a go of being a serious author.  He longs for what he believes were the glory days of Paris...the 1920's, filled with writers and artists.  His fiance, who is the wealthy daughter of a right wing businessman, doesn't share his enthusiasm for Paris or the past.  She's what I like to call a dream squasher.  Anyway, her character is very unlikable...as is intended, but man oh man I liked the clothes and shoes she wore.  It's clear from the get-go that these two people are not at all right for one another.  Anyway, after a dinner with some old friends, Gil decides to walk back to their hotel while the rest of the group go salsa dancing.  He ends up lost in Paris at night.  An old car rounds a bend in the cobblestone street and stops.  Some, shall we say, vintage characters urge Gil to join them.  He hops in the car and is whisked back to Paris in the 1920's.  I won't give the rest away, but Gil is able to live out his fantasy night after night while his fiance and her parents begin to wonder where he goes each night.  Along the way he meets Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Salvador Dali and Picasso to name a few. 

If you care little for past artists, then maybe the premise will not be as cool to you as it was to me.  The movie is really kind of a love letter to Paris, itself.  Having never been there it was so beautiful to see the different shots of the city streets and the well-known buildings.  For me the ending was a little weak, but overall I really enjoyed the movie as a whole.  Of course, if you're like my husband, after having watched the movie and after hearing me declare my love for it you might say, "Really?" in a very surprised/confused manner.  Then again, Brig has never met an action movie he hasn't liked which tells you something about his taste in movies. 

Owen Wilson is fabulous playing the free spirited Gil.  I love his crooked nose and his voice.  His voice is so pleasant, isn't it?  I dare you not to like his character. 

I have to get back to folding clothes now.  Just had to get that off my chest.


1 comment:

Jill said...

i will keep this movie on my list! don't let me forget. :)