Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines Day...what is it good for...Absolutely Nothing!

Say it again, Y'all.  No?  No one?  Didn't you have Mr. Hernandez for Geography in 9th grade?  Pity, you missed a lot of musical exposure and memorization tricks for remembering countries like I rock, I ran, to Afghanistan to buy some Turkey.  Anyway, back to the topic at hand...Valentines. 

I'm going to express my opinion and it may not be a popular one, I don't know.  I resent Valentines Day trying to tell me which day to celebrate romance and love.  Just because you expect me to...now I won't.  That's my stubborn side shining through.  It is more of a kid holiday to me...or more for people in a relationship but not yet married.  I'm all for spicing up your married life and going out on a date, but do I have to do it on the one night of the year where it's like mandatory to take your significant other out?  That's all.  I am the Scrooge of Valentines Day.  I'd rather stay in and watch t.v. or a chick flick at the very most.  Speaking of which, has anyone been watching Downton Abbey on PBS Masterpiece theater?  Awesome.  I'm loving it.  It's like a soap opera for the turn of the twentieth century English nobles.  Give me a nice British accent and some knee breeches for an hour and I'm completely satisfied. 

This girl on the other hand...she is no Valentines Scrooge.  She's all about the holiday.  She got a card in the mail yesterday from Grandma and Grandpa and a cute glow bear from me and Brig. 
Cutegirlhairstyles on YouTube has taught be everything I know about braiding.  I varied a bit from the original hairystyle and did a second heart in the big heart.  I kind of like it without it.  If I were to do it again I'd just do the one big heart. 

We weren't home from picking Ava up from school with all her Valentines loot fifteen minutes, before I look over and see this.
On sugar laden holidays (which is every holiday, isn't it?) I have the attitude of just letting them go hog wild instead of prolonging the agony.  Go on, eat every last one of your pieces of candy, at least you won't be begging me for it tomorrow or the next day or a month from now.  Sure you may have the shakes for a few hours and lay in bed tossing and turning as the sugar courses through your veins, but at least Mama doesn't have to listen to you whine.  Judge me if you will, I'm not going to ration out candy for the next two months.  I'd rather not have it around.

Ava took the opportunity today to profess her love for Mattheo on her Lisa Frank Valentines card.  I Love You! she scrawled at the top of his card giggling all the while.  Girls. 

4 comments:

Becca said...

laughing at how totally opposite my post is today than this! And your hair do- under no circumstance should you look at my blog! Poor Emma- She needs your hair gifts for sure!

kathy said...

Seriously, girl, except for the parts about your kids, I could have written this! The entire 2nd paragraph, right down to the British accent resonates with me in a big way. And, Ava's hair is amazing. Good thing I never had girls. I would have been more of the sucker-in-your-hair type of mom.

Jill said...

ava's hair is awesome! you are a french braiding pro! i'm jealous. teach me. make allie hold still. make her not cry. oh i laughed at the sucker in brebre's hair. hehe. then again in the other picture. ha classic. oh you know me, i like any holiday it makes life exciting. what else is there to look forward to? cold weather? i'm totally looking up the abby show.

Denise said...

Jill, do you have a doll with long hair? That's how I practiced until I felt good enough to do it on Ava. Thank heavens for the Rapunzel barbie. Ava is pretty good about sitting. I just give her the lap top and she plays PBS Kids while I'm doing her hair.