Monday, January 12, 2009

Just call me Unibrow

Why is it that you never notice how unkempt your eyebrows look until you are in a restaurant bathroom or at a friend's house? You're washing your hands and glance up into the mirror and suddenly it's like you've sprouted twenty stray hairs since you looked in your own mirror that morning. Do you know what's worse? The rearview mirror when there is some strong sunshine coming in through the windows. It's sure to bring out hairs you didn't even know you had.



It doesn't help that if I left my brows au naturale that I'd look something akin to Brooke Shields circa 1985. My sister and I discovered where those genetics came from as we were sitting at my grandparents one sunday and flipping through a family history book. Suddenly there she was. In all her 19th century stern faced glory. She had two fuzzy caterpillars for eyebrows, bless her. We know who we can thank for the eyebrows now. I'm sure if she could have spoken she would have pointed to an even earlier ancestor who had the good fortune to have been born when the camera was not invented and thus never captured the bushy brow curse.



My husband has a lot of things to thank me for. Not the least of which was me throwing out his old H.I.S. ankle hugging jeans when we were dating thus heralding him into the 21st century. Since then I've devotedly plucked those stray hairs that were marching ever closer towards the center of his forehead. The thing is every time I beg him to let me pluck beneath his brow just to tidy them up a bit. He probably instinctively knows I'd get carried away and he'd end up looking like Joey from that episode of Friends. One time I asked him if I could do his hair. I wanted to do it kind in the hip fashion at the time of combing it forwards kind of spiking it up in the front. Well a half hour later with the mousse and gel and hairspray dispensed on his hair and blow dried he looked like an exact hair twin to Keira Knightly in this picture. All he lacked was a cute little rhinestone studded bobby pin. So I guess I don't blame his skittishness. P.S. I laughed and laughed after I did his hair. He glared at me and got back in the shower to wash out all the unnecessary hair products and I was still laughing.






4 comments:

Jill said...

that is a funny story. how in the world did you manage to make his hair look like that!? your a crazy girl. I have to agree about the eyebrows, the rearview is by far the worst! I always say "i'm going to put tweezers in this car" I also pluck matt's eyebrows. No man of mine will have a unibrow!

Chan said...

I want to know when you decided to come back and not tell me.. I have been upset ever since you left...What gives!! I am glad to see your back..you've been missed

Chan said...

In Defense of Food isn't a diet book, that is the great thing. It just talks about what we have done to food to make it so unhealthy.

Natelli Johnston said...

that is so true, I notice all my flaws at other places and so then I strategically place my hand in front of the worst flaws throughout the night making it look like I am just resting my head on my hand.